Well here goes, the rotbox aka my R5 I picked up locally in Guernsey, originally a UK car, having done 148k I’ve got a 1.4 GL in the garden that I bought for panels, it’s very solid bar the scuttle panel! Sorry for the photo dump!
This is where I’m upto at the moment, car is a rolling shell, I’ve bought a new scuttle panel from GT Turbo Spares in Spain, my current focus is on the driver’s floorpan and chassis rail, which had rotted the last 150mm of the rail.
This will be one hell of a save! Hats off for taking it on and getting stuck in. I’ll definitely be following with interest! ![]()
Thanks mate, the rear end is rotten as is the rear of the inner sills. Roof had a dodgy repair where the aerial was and a crappy sunroof. It was Tungsten Grey originally also.
You’ve definitely got your work cut out, but having the donor will be a huge help. Are you going to go back to the tungsten grey once it’s done?
The donor has helped massively, without it I was struggling to find panels. I bought the donor for £600, sold off the rubber mats, headlights and parcel shelf and it owes me nothing now. I really want it white but I keep changing my mind. It got resprayed a flip tone also over the years.
You’ve got plenty to be getting on with whilst you decide on the colour!
.
If the donor is in good shape, that’s a godsend!
I got a new scuttle panel for a 5 I’m doing. Got stung with import charges though about £85 I think on top which starts to make it expensive but saves a lot of time..
Just got to fit it now. Roof on this one needs doing aswell.
I got hammered also, but cos I’m in Guernsey it was a nightmare to ship. Managed to sort it in the end and ended up just paying £55 customs clearance. I’m going to sand the underside of my scuttle panel and epoxy primer and possibly paint it, it runs off very easy the costing at present.
The donor is now chopped up, managed to reuse alot and it keeps a GTT on the road also.
I use Bonda red oxide on the inside of everything I do.
Jesus thats a bad one! Best of luck mate!
thats some work required! well done for making a save
Brave restore that! Fair play though looks like its in good hands, be good once done
You’re going to create a shortage of argon and welding wire
That I am
what’s people’s thoughts on bonding the new roof skin on?
Just plug it if you have to.
I’m not saying bonding wouldn’t work as probably would, if it was Carbon you’d have no choice.
Yeah I’m going to have to drill the spotwelds out anyway. I’ll concentrate on the driver’s floor pan at present ![]()


















































