Mk1 / Ph1 Mégane Cabriolet F4R-t conversion

First post on the forum.
I found my way here to read Neal’s R19 F4R-t build for some info and inspiration before starting mine.

I bought a MK1 Mégane Cab ('98 1.6e) last year for £300.00. A car I’ve always wanted for some strange reason, ever since they came out when I was a kid.
I grew up in Cyprus and they were a super popular / common car out there when they were new. I guess it stems from that.

Always been a Renault fan. Having owned a range of them from my '85 R5 GTX, Couple of Clio valvers, a dozen sh*t box MK2 clios, and my work van / daily which is an 06 Trafic.

I bought the Mégane with the intention of fitting a 172 engine into it from a Ph1, to avoid all of the management and Fly-by wire gubbins.
Struggled to find any parts for sensible money. Struggled to get any solid info from anyone. And obviously never managed to buy a donor car as they are rare / expensive now.

Could pick up Ph2 172s all day long. But if I was going to the effort of fitting a Ph2 172, I may as well have just gone turbo. Just as much wiring and messing around with compatibility issues.

I picked up an absolute GEM of a Laguna for £300.00 on eBay. Haha!
I drove the 500 mile round trip with a buddy to collect it from Wales.

It drove the 250 miles home faultlessly. Although massively under-powered.
Once back in Kent, I began to strip it down, and started to realize why.

The dump valve T-piece had been fitted between the throttle body and the original plastic boost pipe. Where the T-piece had been sleeved over the plastic boost pipe, and clamped, it had crushed the boost pipe down causing a massive boost leak.
The boost gauge inside was also leaking badly, so the dump valve was not working at all correctly.
Needless to say, it’s all been removed from the engine and wont be going back on. Standard is the way forward for me.

Got home Sunday eve with the car. Monday morning I got to work removing the engine.

On my trip to Wales, I stopped off in Red Hill to collect a JB3 gearbox from a 16v Clio.
This wont be the final box I use. But for install and testing purposes, it’s much cheaper than experimenting with a JC5.
From the research I’ve done, the JB/JC box will/should fit onto the F4A (F4R-t) engine using a F4R (172) oil sump, flywheel/clutch, and drilling a couple of fitment holes for the bellhousing. Which is no problem.
Suits me much better than trying to fit the PK6 box, as my Megane is fully subframe mounted like an R19. I’d prefer to keep it that way.
it also means I can avoid making custom drive shafts, fitting a cable gear linkage, and having to get around the lack of speedo-drive.

I also removed the Loom, ECU, UCH, Key card reader, throttle pedal, and as much other bits I think I may need from the Laguna before it got collected for scrap.

Interesting project, cheap donor too!

The Laguna was collected on Tuesday for scrap. (Well, the shell was anyway)

Very cheap! :smiley:

I’ve sold enough parts from the Laguna to make my money back, and some more. Which was handy. It covered the cost of the fuel collecting it too.

The death trap it’s going in, is my little Sunflower yellow Mk1 Ph1 Megane.
I picked it up cheap, with a bit of a list of problems. Put some hours into it last summer getting the paint work up to scratch, sorting out the roof, and generally tarting it up.

I dont have any photos of them at the mo, but once the build starts, I’ll get some.
I fitted the Megane up with 312mm Audi TT 225 front brakes. 172 rear brakes, running 172 stub axles and a couple of degrees of Negative camber.
The suspenson will want addressing once the 200hp+ motor is fitted, as it’s currently sitting on some Supersport.de shocks and springs. Not the best.

Welcome to TurboRenault @binge !! Great little thread you’ve got going on here, funny how the MK1 Megane has really fallen out of favour very quickly, that picture of your yellow fellow looks great with a bit of lowering and wheel spacers (I assume?)

I chuckled when I saw your Donor Laguna, is it only me who saw that and wondered if the previous owner was going for a bit of an A-Team tribute with it…? :stop.gif:

Look forwards to reading more about your progress!

It’s not the best looking design really is it, and the “hot” versions were luke warm at best compared to what came before and after!

I suppose it boils down to opinion.
I’ve always loved the Cabrio and Coupe Ph1.

Yeah I’ve lowered mine about 60mm or so. 20mm spacers on the front, and the rears have been spaced behind the stub axles. It’s a good fun car with the 1.6 in it. So I’m really looking forward to having over 200hp

Not much to update other than I have bought a 172 sump, and flywheel.
Laid the engine over to swap the sumps (Only temp as it’s all going to come back apart for parts washer and painting)
Swapped the flywheels over, and removed the spigot bearing from the F4R-t crank, then began offering the gearbox up.

No longer will I listen to advise from people who havent actually done this conversion, on Facebook. Haha!
There is a lot more to it than just marking / drilling two holes.

The gearbox doesnt locate on the sump bellhousing bolt holes. It’s got about 2mm of movement up and down / left and right.
So I need to get my buddy to machine me a spacer which will locate into the middle of the 172 flywheel, and centralize the first-motion shaft in the gearbox, so I can then drill the new bellhousing bolt holes in the correct places.
Unless anyone has a better solution?
It wont be to stay in there, but just to locate the box while I mark the holes.

AND, it’s not ‘a couple of holes’ that need drilling. It’s 5 of the bloody things! :declare.gif:

I’m contemplating just re-building the entire engine into a 172 block, but I’m not too clued up on the compatibilty.
I assume the turbo return pipe will need making up one way or another. And obviously I’ll need to factor in the water pump being driven by the aux belt as apposed to the timing belt.

We shall see. I’m going to get this spacer made up and see how well the block drills.

Werent best impressed this afternoon however. As soon as I pulled the engine out of the shed, it started raining.

Good 'ol tinternet.

@Adey anything you can add here?

I did a 197 block with 172 sump and flywheel on a 172 box. I’ll dig out pics but it was 2 holes maybe 3 tops that I drilled and tapped. great project, I keep looking at mk1 megs as I think they would be awesome with an f4r in.

You probably already know this, but amazing the amount of people who don’t.
If the roof is electric powered then there is a hydraulic reservoir in the boot on the left side behind the trim. It does require topping up. It’s a special fluid that Renault sells, I have the part number if you want from when we had ours.

Definite downgrade from its direct predecessor :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh I know alright. :joy:
It needs topping up from time to time as one of the hoses have started to crack. Byproduct is the rear beam isn’t rusty. Haha
Will be stripping it all out this year and replacing the lines.

Neal. I don’t disagree. The 19 is a very cool car.
The Mégane is just something I’ve always wanted since I was about 10 years old. Came up at the right price and right time for me.

I 100% have 4 holes to drill and tap. And 1 hole to drill through so I can nut and bolt.
Some pics would be awesome if you have them.

What method did you use to locate the box before drilling your holes?

I fitted the box as if I was normally, 172 box fit with 172 clutch and flywheel so it was central and the 172 sump gave me all the bottom fixings to hold it in place and keep it central. Marked through to the block the holes that then needed it, metal was there just no thread/hole. I think the pics might be somewhere on the site if not an old laptop

you might be right with the amount of holes. I think there was one I didnt use due to lack of material on the block, was a few years back now so memory is hazy.

https://turborenault.co.uk/threads/197-engine-ready-to-drop-in-172.77312/

That’s awesome help. Ta.
My sump mounting face sits about 1mm shy of the face of the block so if I was to bolt the box up to the sump it would lift away from the engine block.:thinking:
I’m wondering whether there should be a shim / plate which sandwiches between the sump and the box.