I’m new here, from South Africa and in the process of a Meglio conversion and 3 questions I have…
Is it easier to just use the full Meg 2 wiring (like strip wiring completely from the Meg 2 into 197) or much easier to do loom adaptation (details on adaptation please)
Sorry to hijack but didn’t want to start a new thread for something that has probably been covered over and over again.
I currently own Clio 172 and a meg 225 but thinking of combining the two. As I understand a 225 engine into a 172 needs a fair bit of work with cutting into the chassis legs, which for a track car is a little unnerving as it creates a weak spot if the worst should happen. I have then thought do I sell up and get myself a 197/200 and meg swap that as it is a lot less involved in comparison. I’ve read that some think a meglio ruins the driveability of the 197 that we have all become accustomed to, Is this the case?
I thought it improved it and gave the car the power and torque the chassis needed. It also improved fuel economy and made motorway cruising far more bearable.
The 197 has its positives but all told, IMO, the 2.0 Turbo was far better.
I thought as much. What is needed from the Meg side of things for the conversion, I have a complete PH1 car which is a bit rough but the engine and box are sweet. I’ve recently put the R26 box in so the package is ripe for picking and converting into a Clio.
It will be sad to say goodbye to the 172 but I don’t fancy the fab work needed to get the running gear into it. I will also take a look on here for the build threads and guide on how to go about it and make sure I’ve done my research before hand, I just didn’t want to go full send and find that its perhaps not for me.
Always pro’s and cons to any engine swap be that from same family or not
My 10p worth would be consider what you actually want and take into consideration a known good car foundation v unknown donor could cost more to correct
The smaller the car the more you are always going to have to compromise or added effort/cost
Why in my old 5 with vw 1.8 20vt conversion went 5 speed box and change fd as 6 speed just added more pain than benefit.
If you love the 172 and happy with the rest of it, make it happen, strength can be put back in.
Or easy win seems a 197
Or buy a better megane and turn the power up…nah last option makes way too much sense 172 and work through the fab needed or cash in amd do the 197
If you like NA cars the F4RT might feel quick, but also dull as it lacks a bit of emotion.
I always like the idea of a supercharged 197. Adds some torque to the lower end but doesn’t ruin the ‘emotion’ from the NA engine in the higher end.
I’m unsure if my Meg is mapped but it feels rapid and power is smooth and unrelenting. Or I’ve just become soft in my old age and think it feels rapid…
I did think about getting a newer Meg, I just think I fancy something a little different and in terms of build-ability it seems like it is straight forward in relation to fabricating a 172 to take the swap.
Sorry to revisit this again. I’ve come to the decision that I want to do a Meglio using a 197/200 as the base. Before going down the rabbit hole of research just a quick question. I know there is a lot of information on the task. is there any tricky points along the build like massive fabrication or snag points to overcome. Assuming its never as simple as drop the engine in and that some electrical work is needed. I have the 225 and just need a good 197/200 as a base. Does it need things like custom exhaust made up or work on the engine mounts to clear subframes etc?
Just want to make sure I understand the basics and not find that once I start digging into it I’m going to regret selling the 172
Has been done with ph1 but ph2 is much easier.
I bought a Ph1 Ecu, as mine didn’t come with one but Ended up buying a ph2. They were expensive back then..