James5 Clio 182 FF Cup - Low boost turbo upgrade

Well I have recently been made redundant and with the lack of jobs in my field down this end of the country I have been throwing my self at various projects and car maintenance / servicing to help keep some fund’s coming in. (I really dont want to go back into an office environment).

I have been buying and fixing up car’s for a few month’s now and it has been doing ok (when I buy the right car’s). I picked up a late 2004 Clio 182 ff cup about a month and after sorting a few minor issue’s (Replacement abs sensor and replacement steering wheel angle sensor) I have been using the car as a daily and I have enjoyed the comfort of the car and the way it handles but power wise it just feel’s it is lacking that little bit of go.

The 182 I purchased was fully std when I picked it up but it benefited from having all the cup pack’s available so has all the comforts a clio could offer and the cup suspension, cup splitter, cup spoiler package’s. Since purchasing the 182 I have upgraded/ done the following to the car, just to add it’s also the first clio I have purchased that the air-con has worked.

  1. Fitted Genuine Clio Cup Turini alloys, (Stolen from a previous 172 :wink: )
  2. Brand new continental conti sport 3 tyres all round ,
  3. Apexi 40mm Lowering spring’s
  4. Full Miltek Exhaust system,
  5. K-Tec racing induction Kit,
  6. Sprayed the top of the inlet plenium (Stove black),
  7. Headlights full restored by ABD valeting service’s,

I have started picking up a few part’s to do a low boost turbo conversion :slight_smile:

Couple of month’s back I broke a Megane 225 phase 1 after it gave me nothing but electrical issue’s (Unfortunatly I lost money on this car) and I still have a few spares available and thought why not do a low boost turbo conversion using some of the part’s I have.

Part’s Obtained so far -

  1. Brand new Megane 225 turbo core (Compressor outlet to be modified and re-welded),
  2. Megane 225 exhaust manifold,
  3. Miltek 225 decat pipe,
  4. Megane 225 injector’s,
  5. Spare F4r clio sump (Going to modifiy the sump for oil rtn),
  6. Turbo blanking plate,
  7. SB Worx’s oil drain kit,
  8. SB Worx;s oil feed kit,
  9. SB Worx’s intercooler kit (with black silicone pipe’s)

Part’s to order once I find out the meg 225 oil feed thread type and drain connecting adaptor type,

  1. Megane 225 3 bolt link pipe for exhaust (Will need modification to my miltek).
  2. Brake servo / master cylinder heatshield
  3. EFI Part’s 172/182 turbo ECU bolt on kit he sell’s - Clio 172 / 182 RS TURBO ECU kit - EFI-Parts.co.uk: Connectors, Sensors, Trigger wheels, Wideband, Adaptronic, Zeitronix, AEM
  4. Source a used but good 182 ECU so I can send to Scoff for above,

Yes I know the turbo compressor housing will need modification as the outlet will hit the 182 inlet plenium my plan is to get the turbo inlet cut and re-welded so the angle is changed and to modify the rear of my inlet manifold (Be it if I have to cut section’s out of it to allow clearance I am adamant I am keeping the 182 inlet and using the meg 225 turbo).

nice wheels lol,

you could look at chopping the coil pack bracket bit off the inlet for a little extra space and then relocate the coil pack.

Yeah that was my thought of cutting it off and just relocating the coil pack, not sure why people haven’t done this before though,

No messing about james. all the best for this project mate!:ag::ag:

Just a couple of updates still on mocking stages and pending parts ordered.

Turbo and sump currently at the alloy welders

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You have a canny knack of churning out mouth watering cars @James5 :friends.gif:

Almost complete

To do list

  1. Finish air filter piperun,
  2. Finish intercooler piperun,
  3. Modify downpipe further,
  4. wire in the EFI parts ecu,
  5. Extend the coil pack wiring,
  6. Make up heatshield for under coilpack,
  7. refit the exhaust system

small bits done this morning, ecu wiring, coil pack wiring extension’s air filter pipework done,

awaiting a couple of silicone 90 degree bend’s, going to sort exhaust down pipe tomorrow, awaiting new tdc sensor as i stole the one from the 182 for the gtt :slight_smile:

Not the best pic but other than down pipe its done

James, fancy a part ex deal with my crap Clio… Will include some spares etc :wink:

I know it’s a year on but I’m fancying this myself if it worked well. How did you find it after a few miles?

Did the decat pipe clear the mastercylinder ??

the decat pipe had to be modified for the clearance

@James5 bit of a bump but in the pics it looks like you have the stock fuel rail fitted? did you swap it out for a ph1 setup?

Hi @Adey no i ran the stock ph2 setup on the low boost turbo.No issue with fuelling at WOT was a little rich could have added a few more psi I suppose. Car has done 4 or even 5 track days and no issues’s

cheers for replying bud appreciate it (y)

No probs

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk