Avantime door mirrors seized

Morning all, just finally realised ambition and bagged an Avantime. First on the snagging list is (quelle surprise) wing mirrors that don’t manually fold flat into the vehicle. Offside had been hit prior to purchase and had part snapped, so fitted the spare supplied and set about trying to “persuade” the remainder of the two halves of the diecast moulding to unseize. No joy apart from the large internal spring launching off into the shed roof. Has anyone managed to unseize one without wrecking it? Grateful thanks in advance!

It has been a long time since I have had a mirror apart, so can’t help with the specifics, but yes it should be possible. The problem is that the arms are aluminium so you get galvanic corrosion which can ´weld´ components together. It is just a matter of how far gone your new mirror is. The aluminium arm can be brittle and snap as per your original. I guess you have bought a 2lt with the manual folding vs 3lt with electric fold? The later have less of an issue as they tend to be exercised more often. On a positive note there was a surplus of right hand drive mirrors a while back so they do crop up via eBay more often than many other unique parts.

Thanks Steve - I have an alternative Cunning Plan that I’m exploring at present, but to prevent any naysayer know-it-alls telling me it won’t work or’s already been tried, if it works I’ll post it up. Meantime have ordered some products to see if any of them will free the existing mirrors off….

@Nick_Kettle any comments?

Last one i tried to de seize exploded into bits.

1 Like