3,304 days ago since I owned a Renault ..

All around superstar and very nice man Paul from Diamond Performance ( Diamond-Performance ) sent me these!

Original Renault literature for the 172 cup and autocar excerpt that was in the dealers!

Now we’re talking, luv these. I remember they were pretty sparse on kit, no ABS etc, even the windscreen in these Cups are thinner then ‘normal’ 172’s, a real pocket rocket. I still have that brochure aswell from my days of looking at one. I’ve not had my Glacier white R26 for a few years aswell .. and its still missed, t’was such a great car.

It’s poverty spec!

  • no ABS
  • no traction control
  • no AC
  • sounded deadening removed
  • no spare wheel
  • base spec seats
  • thinner glass is actually from the 1.2 Clio base model

I do not mind one bit mind!

@Big Steve - Raider did I imagine it or did you redo a seat bolster on one of the fleet you own?

Imagined it. Not replaced any seat bolsters on one of my Clio’s.

On any of your cars? Or do I need to start drinking again?

When chopped Cup seats about to put them in 5 Campus, I took bottom seats cover off and padded bolster foam with some pipe lagging, the frame wears through it, other option is to strip some spare seats and use opposite sides foam.
I’d like to do this with Inferno 225 as the drivers outer bolster is sagging.

5GTT Raider and 111T when I rebuilt them both, but no Clio.

I thought you had done something. It must be a similar process?

interested to see if you do it? My mk4 seat is sagging a little, would be interested in replacing it, ill watch you struggle first though :smiley:

Car has left the household and is now at the painters.

Its having the nearside A pillar refinished where the lacquer has peeled and some PDR on a few panels.

Ideally it wants full paint but I remind myself its a 21 year old , used car. .

Car is now in paint …

looking fresh! rest of the car need a mop now to match it?

There are a few scratches TBH on the car - its a great 10ft car. The lacquer peel needed addressing mind.

I am not wanting to make it mint paint wise as I would be scared to drive it a bit like I was with the c63 after that had a fresh coat.

I am having the dents ( parking / few on roof ) removed though just to make it better.

I really , really need to be careful of this becoming a project car and making it mint!

Things planned

  1. Remove the tacky nasty melted shite that is on the dash center
  2. New bolster in the drivers side seat
  3. Check timing
  4. New drive shaft

keep it simple keep it usable. Its very easy to get almost too precious of a car when its minty mint. (thats why i drive rusty ones… thats my story and im stickling to it lol)

Absolutely agree with you matey. This is for go , not show.

Except if its salted roads. Then it wont be driven.
Or the wet.

Its started hasnt it?

Pulled the rear “door” quarter cards out yet?

Absolutely not.

Will not.

If I can’t see it, it’s not there

Car is back from paint and its looks great. I still have a lot of marks all over the body but remind myself its a 2003 car …

Still think it looks great

Had some fun with the cup this evening.

For reference the car was driven last night, parked up and returned to this evening.

Car started fine, drove fine for around 1.5mi and then power started to be sapped away. Pressing harder on the throttle yielded no joy.
Dipped the clutch , revs flair and off we go again.
Repeat the above, power drops and then jerks into life, and drops and jerky. Smells of unburnt fuel.

Did this for the next 3/4mi and ran perfectly.

Stopped after 11mi , left the car for 1h30 and drove home like nothing happened.

Will take it out for a gentle run tomorrow to see if it does the same. Tempted to say its moisture / water in the coil pack or something like that.

No ODB2 at the moment , so dont want to fire the parts cannon