There is more to life with TurboRenault.co.uk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 GT Turbo Trophy / Cobalt blue 5

davemaygtt

Hi there guys. Thought I would put a few pics up of my 5 and what has happened to it over the years. To briefly describe, I brought it 8 years ago as a rotten tungy grey with a newly rebuilt engine and set to sorting the body work. It got welded up and puffed over with trophy blue. More recently it has had a replacement front end put on, engine bay sprayed and then the outside properly re-sprayed in trophy blue but with a kandy cobalt top coat.
before.jpg before1.jpg during.jpg IMG_2858.JPG IMG_3312.JPG IMG_3317.JPG

And a few more that takes us from just after the last respray up to the last weekend going back to Somerset on the trailer and with my mates RS Turbo waiting to get worked on again. Big thanks to Mike @ gt turbo spares for making that possible!
IMG_3313.JPG IMAG0816.jpg IMAG0821.jpg IMAG0822.jpg IMAG1121.jpg IMAG1127.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like the colour, was a bit of a dive into the unknown when we done it but I think it works.
Very odd not having the 5 in the garage and it being so far away, I have always been more involved in all the other work than I will be in this. Hopefully I will get a few update pics soon which I will share when I do.

Very nice fella loving the colour and the wheels really suit it, is cobalt blue a clio colour by any chance? hope she's running well, up for any meets this summer? ;-)

definitly up for some meets over summer. Planning to go to simply retro at beaulieu in August which I will put an event up for to see if anyone else is interested.
The cobalt is a house of color kandy so the colour of the car is made up from a rover trophy blue base coat, 3 layers of cobalt kandy and then clear.
The wheels are going to get a bit of a freshen up but plan to keep them so glad you like :)

Good weekends work done on the car, passenger sill now welded and stone chipped. Floor welded up and coated, rear arches repaired but not quite finished, just needs stone chip re done.
Reserve fuel tank strap replaced and bracket for one way fuel thingy replaced. Both rear bumper mounts replaced during the week before and now just waiting to get the car back on the ramp and completely Underseal then get new seats in and generally tidy up.
Also got aem afr to fit, where is the best place to take power from?
IMAG0036.jpg IMAG0033.jpg IMG-20140709-WA0003.jpg IMG-20140709-WA0004.jpg

Looks like everything I done this year got lost when the site went down. To summarise car is on the road, driving great. Afr fitted, cleaned more times than ever before, replaced the bonnet with standard which I then repaired and sprayed black until I can get it resprayed properly and this weekend it was time to attack the boot as there was a few bits of surface rust. The grinder action started and before you know it the rust was gone and it was time to think about welding. Done the underside of the boot floor as well, all ground down to shiny stuff and ready for a little dusting of etch primer and under sealing.
Few pics of my first ever welding on a car, not exactly a work of art but seemed reasonably solid. Going to try to get some more practice in soon but looks like the weather is against us all from tomorrow

MOD EDIT: DaveL485...lemme see what I can find:

1442667723 Fitted the afr today, only tested on the driveway to check it works and all seems good. Around 15 - 16 idle and rises when revving. Here she is. View attachment 9518 View attachment 9519

1442681399, So, wot in 4th or 5th starts at 11.7 and quickly richens to 11.5 and holds there. Seems pretty safe to up the boost a little? Currently it's about 15 or 16 psi so hoping to get to 18 or 19 and wot to be around 11.9? James advised to run a little rich due to the vnt and it liking to spike a bit when you first accelerate. Quite pleased with this as a starting point.

1442687186, It is slightly retarded, Mark done it when setting up the vnt. He said that would be fine for 18 psi or so with just a small adjustment. Can't remember carb spec tbh. Guess I will just leave it alone then

1442697148, Been racking my brains on carb spec, I\'m now pretty sure it is standard main. 1.3 2nd stage and .9 air corrector

1442775706, You were running 18psi when we went out, I remember it well. Rip that awesome 5 and the cat! \nIt does seem quite high, that\'s why I was hoping to get some more boost in there but I can\'t be bothered with det cans or engine rebuilds if it goes bad. Instead I tidied the interior a bit today

1442667723, Fitted the afr today, only tested on the driveway to check it works and all seems good. Around 15 - 16 idle and rises when revving. Here she is.\nView attachment 9518 View attachment 9519

1442681399, So, wot in 4th or 5th starts at 11.7 and quickly richens to 11.5 and holds there. Seems pretty safe to up the boost a little? Currently it\'s about 15 or 16 psi so hoping to get to 18 or 19 and wot to be around 11.9? James advised to run a little rich due to the vnt and it liking to spike a bit when you first accelerate. Quite pleased with this as a starting point

Attachments

• IMAG1202.jpg
    IMAG1202.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG1205.jpg
    IMAG1205.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1207.jpg
    IMAG1207.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1210.jpg
    IMAG1210.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1211.jpg
    IMAG1211.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1161.jpg
    IMAG1161.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1185.jpg
    IMAG1185.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1194.jpg
    IMAG1194.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG1183.jpg
    IMAG1183.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:
Busy with the car again today, first the afr gauge moved to its new home, the steering wheel got a fresh coat of paint and project rid the boot of rust continued. Took the advice I was given and upped the power on the welder a bit to stop the welds being so proud and it worked out quite well. :bn:

Attachments

• IMAG1222.jpg
    IMAG1222.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1224.jpg
    IMAG1224.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG1227.jpg
    IMAG1227.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG1220.jpg
    IMAG1220.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 39
Starting to get ready for summer now. Had the Federal 595s fitted all round today, seem OK so far. Done an oil change to finish of servicing. Managed to make a right mess on the drive with the filter as it went hand tight early and pissed out when cranked over. Not sure why it went tight early as never done that before but there we go. Replaced a windscreen washer pump as had failed and fitted a fuse box cover as had been missing for all 10 years of ownership.
Still searching for a drivers seat and am going to hopefully talk to Mike about a few more little bits soon but it feels like progress at the moment

Can't sleep so a quick update. Thanks to Mike allowing me to strip the top fabric off a seat I finally have a rip free drivers seat. Took a bit of time but I'm happy with the result.
Before and after pics attached.
Next on the list is replace the 4" scorpion with a 3" and then it will be a trip to mark for a tune as the vnt seems to have lost its punch

IMAG1620.jpg

IMAG1628.jpg

Been a long time all, hope everyone is happy and well. Been busy with the Capri and doing a welding course which was really good but it has meant the old orb has been neglected. Today I refitted the wing after taking off for a bit of a health check, grind back clean up and repaint on inner wing and inside the wing itself and finally get round too refitting and seeing if the standard grill i picked up that needed some repair would fit and how it would look.
Mostly repaired now but still not in paint and fits fine even with the grill mount. Just need to decide if it stays now. Any opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_20170416_174307193_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170416_174307193_HDR.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 17
Well it was hard to know what to do with so many differing opinions lol but I made some brackets on the back to hold it all together a bit better and give it some strength back and now back on and a single colour. Also MOT is booked, always ermmmm exciting.IMG_20170521_153745415_HDR.jpg

MOT passed and hardly any advisories. Need some new wipers was main thing. First run out on the new plugs also which I was concerned about as was advised they might be a bit cold and misfire but so far so good. Will keep them in for now.
Now I just need a decent backbox with 3" tailpipe and suddenly the world stock dries up lol. The rattling of the 4” is embarrassing, someone must be able to help?!

I think you'll find that cold plugs won't misfire as such, they'll soot up and it won't start or be difficult to start when cold.

So, battle of the 4" exhaust. Got fed up waiting on a 3" backbox to come up and contacted my old welding instructor to see what goodies he might be able to help with. As always he came up with the goods. 3" 316 stainless pipe and plate which he tig welded the pipe too and a reel of stainless MIG wire for me to attach said plate to where we hacked the old scorpion rattle machine off. What a legend.IMG_20170726_053759569.jpg
Roughly hacked the plate to correct shape and welded on ready to cut and grind down level later on.
IMG_20170721_060952871.jpg
A bit of modifying of the mounts was needed to get it to sit right and ended the night with this
IMG_20170725_204415191.jpg

Went for a nice drive with no rattles and 2 guys grinning like idiots. Result.

Back
Top Bottom