There is more to life with TurboRenault.co.uk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• This section is for your cars project updates only. For technical queries please field them in technical

Renault 5 Monaco 1988

So I picked up a MONACO a few weeks ago! I had 2 of these 25 years ago and been keeping my eyes open for a 1.7 manual!
picked it up during hurricane Jorge and 400 miles trip! Home and start the investigations!
new cam belt and water pump for starters then a carb strip and clean to get running in the key!

6F1BDDD4-7B9C-4C8C-9EFC-D81CAAC39F53.jpeg

A792DFCF-1E97-412B-9F72-59F1CEBC8EDC.jpeg

4E52FC02-7DDD-44E1-A8F3-E4FFD6761275.jpeg

E9F58A3E-02F0-42E9-AB19-79A101941247.jpeg

17574CFF-6F58-4529-B649-7B6B67A82412.jpeg

4A9CE012-0EE0-4F2C-BA23-22FF698EF28C.jpeg

Well not really a cat but mid section box! I’ve already spoken to power flow to get a price on a straight through race exhaust! Apparently the 5s were restricted as standard through the exhaust size! Anyway a nice simple straight through so be fun!

I’d been trying to get this running of the key but as it had been sitting a while there were obvious problems! Dumping fuel straight down the carb got it running but without set up and years of gunk wasn’t going to get it running! Whipped off the carb and a Can of carb cleaner later and all is good! It’s a soled 32 on these so took out the 5 screws to spilt the carb, removed the jets and obvious bits that can be removed and found out the pump wasn’t picking up fuel from the reservoir and injecting into the manifold.
Once clean I used a tyre compressor pump to blow the orifices out! Stick it back on and bingo all good! Managed to the move the car out of the garage to de gunk the engine bay.
next step is the suspension and brakes before getting ready to look at the welding! Normal issues of all the jacking points need re-doing! If the isolation kicks in I’ll be practicing my welding!

These things are the king of beige...but still manage to be very cool :)
Or as my un-impressed wife said ‘shit brown’ lol external is chocolate bronze with gold striping, connelly leather is beige. I’ve polished a few panels and the paint on the rizla thin metal work is coming up nicely it’s the bits of painted plastics that will need some spraying works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary

Love the old 1.7's, My mother had a gtx years ago and I used it after passing my test quick little motor, then I put a 1.7 in a road rally car and wanting more power and very little money I had the pistons welded up and machined flat !! ported the head and away to go had to put 24v starting due to compression and ran fuel boost and a pair of 48mm mikunis flat sliders to resemble split 48's and away to go, used it for over 10 rallies no problem and still have the bottom end in the shed with the welded pistons.

well bit of a cliché saying no problems, I should say no problems with the engine, but it used to push the sun wheel out of the gear box, so then welded the circlip to hold it in,

The good old days, !!

Well managed to strip the rear down Rios afternoon so rear drums off and a clean up coming up. Cut the exhaust off too to make more room! A big shopping list will be put together for the running gear and identified a bit more welding needed as I removed the rear bumper too! Generally not too bad just the normal rust spots!
Made a template airbox too to see if I can add a cone filter easily!
Advice needed could make the rear discs like the GT turbo or are the subframes holding the drums/discs different?

6AE34877-E588-442D-8583-B09B2C78BD02.jpeg

D9A599A0-D5C2-4BC8-8AA7-C323006984B8.jpeg

02512F10-2545-474F-9FDF-82F72BC766B8.jpeg

DF167740-55F2-4B4E-81B3-E7FBD6CD6DDD.jpeg

89A8D5B7-DB4F-416C-B101-F312D5EAE18F.jpeg

31A6CA92-36E9-4DDE-88C4-801D4DFB486C.jpeg

DA603FC8-A2A8-46FF-88AE-F6BB2D1330FD.jpeg

00C6B129-F3D4-4B11-9B64-FB7336A56290.jpeg

B44FE1C3-862E-4042-A905-223A89BD9F10.jpeg

C0FF321E-84A4-420A-B93B-D1F434202F5E.jpeg

3A4785A3-D1A4-4DB4-B104-6C2C5CE42879.jpeg

nowt wrong with drums on the rear if cleaned up and working well
Yeah I have not problem with the drums as I’ll replace with all new parts just wondered how hard the conversation was! Not going to see them anyway with Clio turbines! Lol

Adey

low and slow
Staff member
I'm not sure if it's a direct swap tbh. the stub axle is part of the axle if i remember rightly. not sure if has provisions near buy for the calipers or if it's the correct size for the gtt disk

I'm not sure if it's a direct swap tbh. the stub axle is part of the axle if i remember rightly. not sure if has provisions near buy for the calipers or if it's the correct size for the gtt disk
Yeah I’ve been looking at the differences and don’t thing it’s straightforward. New drums all round, new shocks and a torsion bar lower to programme in! Grinding and clean first which will be the crap job then welding before paint! lots to keep me busy. Found a couple of places that do the replacement inner and outer seals so I think I’ll get those and cut what I need.

piggz

Skill level = 99999
Nice

Im doing up a 1.7 GTX, a car I had 20 years ago, which is basically the same. Had some sill work done, but its basically in really good nick and iwll bo on the road soon. Do you have the remote central locking? If you are missing the fob, I can show you how to make one if youre comfortable with electronics.

DaveL485

Staff member
Yeah I’ve been looking at the differences and don’t thing it’s straightforward. New drums all round, new shocks and a torsion bar lower to programme in! Grinding and clean first which will be the crap job then welding before paint! lots to keep me busy. Found a couple of places that do the replacement inner and outer seals so I think I’ll get those and cut what I need.
Its an axle change to convert to discs.

I did a full axle rebuild with drums for my 9 Turbo, it's on my thread if you want to look.

Nice

Im doing up a 1.7 GTX, a car I had 20 years ago, which is basically the same. Had some sill work done, but its basically in really good nick and iwll bo on the road soon. Do you have the remote central locking? If you are missing the fob, I can show you how to make one if you're comfortable with electronics.
hi Piggz yes ive seen your post, i see you are going the whole 9 yards on the re-built! i had a couple of Monaco's 25+ years ago and have been looking for a while to find a good manual 1.7! Id love to get the info on that! i have the electronics card in the center roof console so have been looking to replace the blipper! i asked the guy when i bought it but he didn't really know what i was talking about! part of the beauty of these is the electrical central locking, and windows etc so yes, please!

piggz

Skill level = 99999
For the plip, you need to start with working out the code on your car, from the unit in the roof. Read the docs here 5 GT Turbo - Plip Progamming . That doc describes how to read the code. 10 pins on the chip are either wired hi, low, or left floating, which gives the code. The chip at the heart of it all is the TEA5500. Read the data sheet for the chip here, TEA5500 Datasheet(PDF) - NXP Semiconductors , And it shows how to calculate the wiring for the sender unit from the receiver code. Then, in the same data sheet, there is a sample wiring diagram, thats the circuit I created for my sender.

Top Bottom