There is more to life with TurboRenault.co.uk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 Turbo Project #onashoestring

Right after being hounded by Andy Bond to put my build thread on here, here we go.

Thanks to DaveL485, I have now acquired a 21 Turbo Quadra.

As it was already partially stripped out, I have decided to make this a road legal track car.

The budget is tight on it (non existent according to my wife), so any help will be appreciated. Plus I want to see what kind of a track car I can build on the cheap.
It's a challenge, but that's the fun of it.

I cannot promise daily updates, but will post as much as I can.

So delivery day.......

img.photobucket.com_albums_v257_craig.cc1_H887_20KBH_newquadra.jpg

Wow, thats one hell of a 'freebie' LOL seriously? ;-)

Good work mate
I bought the car for the flywheel and clutch primarily, swapped the wheels over and kept the engine and turbo (broken cambelt, bounced valves and Turbo needs a refurb mind lol), but then gave the car to Craig for free on the proviso it was recommissioned and not broken for spares. There is also the old engine left with the car he can rebuild if he chooses.
I don't have the time or resource for another 21 on top of mine, I wanted the clutch and flywheel (VERY expensive bespoke billet flywheel and Helix clutch) but I didn't want another Quadra broken for bits, and as we know they're not worth a lot in that state. I could have weighed it in after taking off the few bits of value but decided to take the hit to save it.

To be fair, the wheels and tyres are worth several hundred quid (magnesium 17"'s), the OE wheels and tyres I replaced them with I can't use any more since my brake upgrade, and to replicate the clutch and flywheel setup would have cost me over £1500 and months of time and effort. Not only that but some of the engine components should be worth enough to see my money back on the cost of the car, so in this situation everybody wins...I get the clutch and wheels and a lovely warm feeling inside, the car gets saved, and Craig gets months of pain, agony, heartache, financial destitution and abuse from his Mrs AND thanks me for it.

Brilliant :D

I bought the car for the flywheel and clutch primarily, swapped the wheels over and kept the engine and turbo (broken cambelt, bounced valves and Turbo needs a refurb mind lol), but then gave the car to Craig for free on the proviso it was recommissioned and not broken for spares. There is also the old engine left with the car he can rebuild if he chooses.
I don't have the time or resource for another 21 on top of mine, I wanted the clutch and flywheel (VERY expensive bespoke billet flywheel and Helix clutch) but I didn't want another Quadra broken for bits, and as we know they're not worth a lot in that state. I could have weighed it in after taking off the few bits of value but decided to take the hit to save it.

To be fair, the wheels and tyres are worth several hundred quid (magnesium 17"'s), the OE wheels and tyres I replaced them with I can't use any more since my brake upgrade, and to replicate the clutch and flywheel setup would have cost me over £1500 and months of time and effort. Not only that but some of the engine components should be worth enough to see my money back on the cost of the car, so in this situation everybody wins...I get the clutch and wheels and a lovely warm feeling inside, the car gets saved, and Craig gets months of pain, agony, heartache, financial destitution and abuse from his Mrs AND thanks me for it.

Oh how bow to your brilliance!!! A masterstroke I must say sir! :grin.gif:

The wife ain't happy so I am taking the family to France next month.;-)

I have managed to spend a few more evenings on her doing what costs me nothing.

Will post some more update pics soon.

Nah, going to stick to the 2.0ltr 8 valve standard lump.

Should see 230ish bhp with 240-250 lbft.

Was good enough to get me 13.21sec 1/4 mile time in my 2wd.

+ as the title suggests, this is to see what I can build with the minimum of funds.

Back
Top Bottom